All set to Lose Your Glasses? Ten ideas for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest evolving fields of medicine. Never before have numerous brand-new methods and clinical advancements emerged in such a short duration of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, offers millions of individuals the chance to minimize or remove their need for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with fantastic stories about LASIK surgery as the quick and painless method to correct vision, however stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than effective. Prior to you decide to go under the beam, what can you do to help guarantee that you will be pleased with your results?
The key to safe surgical treatment in any field of medication is an informed client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a doctor by getting recommendations from other physicians or from patients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be deceived you can check here by expensive ads about a specific laser. Pick the medical professional, not the laser. Find out who will really do your procedure, then inquire about that medical professional's credentials (e.g., board certification, unique training).
3. Pick a medical professional who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. What a medical professional does not know can harm you.
4. Ask for details on your physician's LASIK eye surgery problem rates. If your physician won't tell you, discover another one. For leading surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask what measures are taken to avoid infection. Firmly insist that your eye is completely decontaminated, and insist that the surgical instruments be sterilized before your eye laser surgical treatment to remove the threat of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
Beware of advertisements pressing "low expense" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount rate surgery is as good as a discount rate parachute.
Anticipate to see really well after LASIK, however do not anticipate to see perfectly. As with any eye laser surgery, results are as individual as each client. Be careful of any medical professional who assures 20/20 vision.
8. You most likely are if you feel like you're getting a difficult sell. Go elsewhere. You're not buying a vehicle; this is real LASIK eye surgical treatment.
9. If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 approximately, implantable lenses will most likely use much better vision than LASIK. Think about waiting until the brand-new lenses are offered. Ask your physician about them and other current advances.
10. While you examine, do not forget the benefits: for the majority of people, a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has actually improved the vision of countless individuals around the globe.